TAC ATTACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the forum that brings the TAC TEAM together.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A Bright Idea: Wireless Networking Through Light Bulbs

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
sCre2n

A Bright Idea: Wireless Networking Through Light Bulbs Empty
PostSubject: A Bright Idea: Wireless Networking Through Light Bulbs   A Bright Idea: Wireless Networking Through Light Bulbs EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 3:01 pm

[img]A Bright Idea: Wireless Networking Through Light Bulbs Lightb10[/img]

Boston University researchers are devising a method to transmit data through light rather than a traditional Wi-Fi router.

The technology involves utilizing LEDs that flicker at imperceptible speeds, communicating with network-enabled devices at speeds from one to 10 megabits per second. That's a tad slow compared to the current 802.11g Wi-Fi standard, which transmits data at rates up to 54 megabits per second. But researchers are aiming the light technology at networking household appliances, such as refrigerators, photo frames or printers -- bringing us a step closer to the dream of a wireless household.

An LED wireless system would certainly eliminate clutter taken up by a traditional Wi-Fi or femtocell hub. But, as TechDigest also pointed out, I wonder if my shadow would interfere with wireless communication with a device? That would be slightly annoying, no?

Lightbulbs Could Replace Wi-Fi Hotspots [Cellular News via TechDigest]
Back to top Go down
psychosid

psychosid

A Bright Idea: Wireless Networking Through Light Bulbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Bright Idea: Wireless Networking Through Light Bulbs   A Bright Idea: Wireless Networking Through Light Bulbs EmptySat Jan 17, 2009 12:13 am

Yor this will be most mad ek se. Think of the limitless possiblities and oh my word the coverage. DAMN
Back to top Go down

A Bright Idea: Wireless Networking Through Light Bulbs
Page 1 of 1